Frequently Asked Questions

We have complied the responses to some commonly asked questions about applying for a role or working at Northbrook Met. If you can't find the response that you are looking for or need any further information please feel free to contact us on 01903 273285 or

What will the selection process be?

The selection process can vary depending on the position, but if you are successful in being shortlisted for the role you have applied for, you will be invited to attend an interview at the College. As part of this process, you may be asked to do a test (maybe an IT exercise or another type of test relevant to the role), a micro-teach or a presentation. You will receive all the details for this in your invite to interview correspondence.

When you come for your interview, you will meet the recruiting manager for the role and the rest of the interview panel which will be a total of two to four people, depending upon the role. Sometimes a decision is made after one round of interviews. At other times, you will need to come back to the College to attend a second round of interviews or further tests or assessments. If you are successful at this stage, then you will be contacted after the interviews and progressed for the role.

What does being 'progressed for a role' mean?

Being progressed for a role simply means that you will be formally offered the position (usually first by phone and followed up with an offer letter) and your pre-employment checks, which include your 3 references, DBS check, an ID check and medical clearance will be carried out before a confirmed offer of employment is made and a contract is given to you.

The time this takes varies from person to person and if you have had your ID checked at the interview stage a DBS form will be posted for completion as soon as possible. If you have not had your ID checked, we will require you to come into the College as soon as possible to complete a DBS form also bringing your ID documents.

Also it is always a good idea to inform your referees beforehand so they will be expecting us to contact them, which can greatly speed up the process.

After all the pre-employment checks have been made, we then make a formal offer of employment by sending a contract. This is normally subject to a satisfactory DBS check being received. If your DBS check has not been returned by your start date, a risk assessment will be carried out by the department and authorised by the Principal, prior to you starting your role with us.

You will also be required to undergo a health assessment, to ensure that you are fit to carry out the role and to let us know if there are any adjustments that we need to make to enable you to carry out your job.

What type of job opportunities do you offer?

We offer a full range of Lecturing, Support and Management roles across the College. We offer full time and part time roles which may fall into permanent, fixed term, sessional or term time only contracts.

Please browse our website for information on all the different departments of the College

What does a ‘Sessional’ contract mean?

A Sessional, hourly paid contract is for a variable number of hours as we need flexibility and the hours for this type of work will fluctuate. Staff on this type of contract will normally be given their hours of work for the term ahead (and sometimes for the whole academic year). Some ‘bank’ roles will be offered hours on an ad-hoc basis.

Sessional staff on teaching contracts are normally paid an additional half hour for every hour they teach to take account of the extra duties required of a lecturer. These would include preparation, marking, attending meetings etc.

All staff on this type of contract receive holiday pay, which is shown as a separate item on their payslip. The calculation is made taking into account the pro-rata holiday entitlement to that of a full time member of staff. Holiday pay is paid at the time the holiday is taken, e.g in April, August and December.

What does a 'Term Time Only' contract mean?

Northbrook Met employs a number of staff on term time only basis. The main term time only working weeks are:

36 weeks, paid for 40.6 weeks

38 weeks, paid for 43 weeks

40 weeks, paid for 45.2 weeks

Salary payments are based upon your hours of work and the number of working weeks, including your holiday entitlement (inclusive of bank and statutory holidays). Salary payments are paid in 12 equal instalments over the year and are payable monthly in arrears directly into the individual’s bank account.

In the event that an individual’s employment is terminated by either themself or the College, their final salary will be recalculated based upon the anniversary of the date that they commenced in post and the number of working and non-working weeks from that date to their leaving date. If, on the termination of their employment, the number of non-working weeks exceeds the accrued entitlement to paid holiday up to the leaving date, the College will be entitled to deduct the excess from any sums due to the individual, including payment of salary. If, on the other hand, their non-working weeks are less than the entitlement due to them at the leaving date, the College will pay the individual the appropriate sum in lieu thereof.

What benefits are there of working at Northbrook Met?

Please visit the 'Benefits of Working at Northbrook Met' section for information on the benefits of working at the College.

Will my application be considered if I'm a non-EU resident?

Yes. The College will consider all applications received. However we are required to check that all of our employees are eligible to live and work in the UK. If you are successful in your application, you will be required to provide evidence of this.

We will need to see a valid working visa or residence permit as part of our background checks.

Will my referees be contacted before I am formally offered the role?

Your referees will be contacted before we confirm our offer of employment and send a contract. We will not take up your references prior to interview without your permission.

We will ask you for 3 referees, one of which must be your current or most recent employer (from the HR Department if possible). The other 2 should be from a different organisation or they can be a personal reference, but not from a friend or relative.

Is there any flexibility on interview dates/times?

With our current system we usually offer a choice of times for interviews on a particular day and you will be asked to login to your account and choose a selected time which best suits you.

In the majority of cases we are unable to re-schedule an interview date as it is very difficult to get the panel together for more than one date to conduct interviews due to time restraints and resources. However if the panel do not recruit from the current round of interviews we may contact you regarding an alternative date to interview if you are still interested.

If you are unable to attend your interview please email stating which role you are being interviewed for, the time, your reason for not attending and any alternative days/times that you are available. We will attempt to re-schedule if possible, however we cannot guarantee to be able to do this every time.


Please Note:- The College is unfortunately unable to reimburse any interview expenses that you may incur.


Examples of valid identity documents for DBS checking

You must provide:-

1 document from Group 1 and a further 2 documents from either Group 1, 2a or 2b (one of which much verity your current address)

Or if you cannot provide a document from Group 1:-

3 documents from Group 2 consisting of 1 document from Group 2a and 2 further documents from Group 2a or 2b (one of which must verify your current address

If you cannot provide documents as above please contact the HR Department for further guidance (01903 273355 or 01903 273285)

Examples of valid documents (exceptions cannot be made):


Group 1: Primary identity documents





Any current and   valid passport

Biometric residence   permit


Current UK Driving   Licence – photo card with counterpart

UK/Isle of   Man/Channel Islands and EU full or provisional

All licences must   be valid in line with current DVLA requirements

Birth Certificate –   issued at time of birth


UK and Channel   Islands – including those issued by UK Authorities overseas, eg embassies,   High Commissions and HM Forces

UK Adoption   Certificate

UK and Channel   Islands


Group 2a: Trusted government documents




Current driving   licence – photo card (where a counterpart has been issued but no counterpart   is presented)

All countries (full   or provisional)

All licences must   be valid in line with current DVLA requirements

Current driving   licence – paper version

Uk/Isle of   Man/Channel Islands and EU (full or provisional)

All licences must   be valid in line with current DVLA requirements

Birth Certificate –   issued after time of birth

UK and Channel   Islands

Marriage or Civil   Partnership Certificate

UK and Channel   Islands

HM Forces ID


Firearms   Certificate

UK/Channel Islands   /Isle of Man


Group 2b: Financial and social history documents




Issue date and   validity

Mortgage Statement


Issued in last 12   mths

Bank/Building   Society Statement

UK/Channel Islands   or EEA

Issued in last 3   mths

Bank or Building   Society account opening confirmation letter


Issued in last 3   mths

Credit Card   Statement


Issued in last 3   mths

Financial Statement   – e.g pension, endowment


Issued in last 12   mths

P45 or P60

UK and Channel   Islands

Issued in last 12   mths

Council Tax   Statement

UK and Channel   Islands

Issued in last 12   mths

Work permit or Visa


Valid up to expiry   date

Letter of   sponsorship from future employment provider

Non-UK or non-EEA   only – valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of   application

Must still be valid

Utility Bill

UK – not mobile or   telephone bill

Issued in last 3   mths

Benefit Statement   e.g Child Benefit, Pension


Issued in last 3   mths

Central/local   Government/Government Agency/Local Authority giving entitlement – eg from the   Dept for Work and Pensions, HMRC, the Employment Service

UK and Channel   Islands

Issued in last 3   mths

EU National ID Card



Must still be valid

Cards carrying the   PASS accreditation logo

UK and Channel   Islands

Must still be valid

Letter from Head   Teacher or College Principal

UK – for 16 to 19   year olds in full time education

Only used in   exceptional circumstances if other documents connot be provided



All documents must be original copies – photocopies will not be accepted


If you have any queries or require any further assistance, contact us by telephone on +44(0)1903 273285 or email us at